Transformation will fail without trust in the change leadership. Why is that?
Successful transformation demands that people trust and believe what they are hearing regarding:
- Why the current situation is not viable in the long-term.
- Why transformation is needed.
- What the future looks like and the path to the future.
- “What in it for them”.
People will naturally have emotional resistance to the major changes they will undergo. Changes to their day-today work, their environment, their perception of personal identity.
Without trust, people won’t believe what they are told and their emotional resistance creates a dysfunctional organization focused on fighting (overtly or covertly) the transformation.
Going from a slowly-changing business to transformation makes visible:
- All the issues with lack of trust in management; and
- Management’s inability to deal with all the emotional factors of trust and resistance to change.
As a result, the benefits of transformation are not achieved.
To enable discussion with your board and management, download the one page slide Why is trust critical for transformation?